The egg in pastry play a huge amount of different functions, depending on the recipe incorporating air, provide structure, gel, humidify, emulsify, coagulate acting as a binder, provide color and flavor.
Whether by choice or because of health problems we decide to replace them there are many ingredients that can help us, but the important thing is to understand their function in the recipe that we want to re-interpret, some even have a double function.
- Baking powder for cakes, baking soda, baking soda alone or combined with an acid (such as vinegar, lemon juice, yogurt, cream of tartar), agar agar, carbonated water favor the leavening.
- The puree of fruit and vegetables and sour cream provide moisture.
- The seeds of flax, chia or ground psyllium, the starches, potatoes, cooked vegetables or flour, aquafaba, cooked cereal, the shirataki (pasta of konjac) agar agar, the mashed vegetables and fruits the tang zhong or water roux bind the ingredients and soften.
- The soft tofu, flax seeds and chia emulsify.
- Turmeric, saffron provide color.
On the “Index recipes free” I indicate which recipes do not contain eggs. in the footer of each page you’ll find all the examples in the “I cook them like that … ” and ”I use or replace it so … “.