Did you know that corn is not only yellow but multicolored?
Monoculture of yellow corn and genetically modified corn are disappearing, fortunately there are those who are committed to protecting biodiversity.
Are grown dozens of species of corn by different colors, so the corn is not only yellow but there are multicolored:
- The multi-colored corn cobs of corn are grown Gemn Glass in Oklahoma
- the black corn cobs are grown both in Central America and China.
- the cobs of purple corn grown in Peru in the Andes, but we can also find here in the online shop specialized in products for the raw food diet
- Thecobs biancoperla corn a Slow Food grown in the province of Padua and Treviso
- cobs of corn red di Storo are grown in Trentino
- cobs of blue corn native to South America, rich in anthocyanins, the pigments that have antioxidant properties
- orange cobs the Eight File Flint Corn original New England
- the green cobs the Oaxaca Green Dent Corn Mexican.
CORN IN THE KITCHEN
Corn always amazes with its colors, with the sweet taste and the variety of minced packaged flours with different grain sizes (grain size).
In the kitchen we can really indulge creating baked goods and not colored with different textures: soft, crumbly, sandy and sometimes crispy.
COARSE AND MEDIUM GRIND
|flour toasted corn, to bread forms a delicious crust and absorbs less than other flours|
|flour Pignoletto red corn|
|black corn flour|
|yellow corn flour|
|white corn flour|
|These flours are used for:
|Heat-treated corn flour is presented in a very fine granulometry, it is subjected to a hot-air roasting process that transforms the starch particles (jelly them).|
|White corn flour for tortillas is ground very finely and then cooked in hot air currents. The cooking process jelly the starch contained in it that makes the workable flour as if it contained “gluten.”This flour is used primarily in Latin America, where it is called masa harina.|
|Purple corn flour that can be used in any type of recipe. With this flour in Peru it was prepared a refreshing drink called “chica”, which is now recognized as a power nutrient due to its high content of anthocyanins, molecules that are found in fruits and vegetables of dark color.|
|Corn flour fine, with this flour prepare:
|Corn meal can not replace wheat flour 1: 1. To replace 100 grams of wheat flour, 85 grams of finely ground.
It is important to know the density of flours to understand how much they should be used to replace wheat flour, you can find help on the page dedicated to the “chart of the density of flours and starches.”
|Corn flour has a low binding power and is almost always used with other gluten-free flours. In the preparation of baked goods, especially if leavened or whipped, you must have some extra precautions:
Not containing gluten that causes leavening and consistency to doughs, especially in leavened dough to replace the function of glutinous net. You can use these ingredients alternately: