Did you know that corn is not only yellow but multicolored?
Monoculture of yellow corn and genetically modified corn are disappearing, fortunately there are those who are committed to protecting biodiversity.
Are grown dozens of species of corn by different colors, so the corn is not only yellow but there are multicolored:
- The multi-colored corn cobs of corn are grown Gemn Glass in Oklahoma
- the black corn cobs are grown both in Central America and China.
- the cobs of purple corn grown in Peru in the Andes, but we can also find here in the online shop specialized in products for the raw food diet
- Thecobs biancoperla corn a Slow Food grown in the province of Padua and Treviso
- cobs of corn red di Storo are grown in Trentino
- cobs of blue corn native to South America, rich in anthocyanins, the pigments that have antioxidant properties
- orange cobs the Eight File Flint Corn original New England
- the green cobs the Oaxaca Green Dent Corn Mexican.
CORN IN THE KITCHEN
Corn always amazes with its colors, with the sweet taste and the variety of minced packaged flours with different grain sizes (grain size).
In the kitchen we can really indulge creating baked goods and not colored with different textures, from soft, crumbly, sandy and sometimes crispy.
COARSE GRAIN SIZE
Flour toasted corn, to bread forms a delicious crust and absorbs less than other flours
Flour Pignoletto red corn, black corn flour
Yellow corn flour ottofile, coveted, white corn flour.
Taragna flour a mixture of coveted cornmeal and buckwheat flour.
These flours are used for:
⇒ arepas a small loaf of Venezuelan and Colombian origin mainly prepared with white corn flour
⇒ polenta. Using 100-120 g of corn flour per person, to which are added 600 ml of water and a teaspoon of salt. The recommended cooking time is 60-90 minutes.
⇒ products from sweet and savory baked goods typical of Italian traditional cuisine, where the flour is rehydrated and cooked in the oven
With this flour prepare:
⇒ crumbly dough as the pastry
⇒ soft dough as waffles and pancakes
⇒ soft polenta. Using 100-120 g of corn flour per person, to which are added 600 ml of water and a teaspoon of salt. The recommended cooking time is 45-60 minutes, if you use the “instant flour foil” cooking for 2 minutes.
Heat-treated corn flour is presented in a very fine granulometry, it is subjected to a hot-air roasting process that transforms the starch particles (jelly them).
The roasting process improves the workability of the flour making it suitable to the preparation of fresh pasta.
White corn flour for tortillas is ground very finely and then cooked in hot air currents. The cooking process jelly the starch contained in it that makes the workable flour as if it contained “gluten.”
This flour is used primarily in Latin America, where it is called masa harina.
Purple corn flour that can be used in any type of recipe. With this flour in Peru it was prepared a refreshing drink called “chica”, which is now recognized as a power nutrient due to its high content of anthocyanins, molecules that are found in fruits and vegetables of dark color.